This part provides numerous examples of papers through the Form I-9 Lists of appropriate papers that a worker might present to determine their employment identity and authorization. Nevertheless, this part will not offer most of the variants of a specific document, and new variations of a document could become available directly after we publish this handbook. We usually do not expect one to be a document specialist, but we do expect one to reasonably accept documents that appear become genuine and also to relate solely to anyone presenting them.
A worker must provide a document or mix of documents from List A (which will show both identification and work authorization) or one document from List B (which will show identification) and another document from List C (which ultimately shows work authorization) or a receipt that is acceptable of papers within three company times of the date work with pay starts. The worker that displays a receipt must provide the document that is actual the receipt validity period stops, or if they get the document, whichever comes first. Don’t require a member of staff whom presents a List A document to provide List B and List C documents.
Don’t require a worker whom presents List B and List C papers to provide an inventory A document.
You can’t accept a receipt showing the worker has sent applications for a grant that is initial of authorization. Additionally you cannot accept receipts if work is actually for not as much as three business times. For a summary of appropriate receipts for Form I-9, see Table 1 in area 4.3, appropriate Receipts. For types of appropriate work authorization papers granted by the Department of Homeland safety (List C # 7), please check out uscis.gov/i-9-central.
Some workers (including legal permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) may provide papers with a termination date. You may have to reverify the employeeвЂ™s authorization to operate whenever specific List A or List C papers expire. See part 5.0, finishing area 3, to learn more about reverification. USCIS includes termination times on some papers granted to people with permanent work authorization.
Should your employeeвЂ™s document includes a future termination date:
- It generally does not preclude constant work authorization;
- It doesn’t suggest USCIS will likely not give them subsequent employment authorization; and
- Usually do not consider the termination date whenever determining whether someone is qualified for a specific place. Should you, you may possibly break work discrimination laws and regulations.
To learn more about illegal discrimination, see area 10.0, Discrimination that is unlawful and for Prohibited methods.
LIST A: Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
All papers must certanly be unexpired.
- U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (this is certainly commonly known as a Green Card.)
- International passport that contains a short-term stamp that is i-551 temporary I-551 printed notation for a machine-readable immigrant visa (MRIV)
- Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which contains a picture. Nevertheless, in a few circumstances, an EAD past its вЂњCard ExpiresвЂќ date qualifies as A ead that is unexpired. See area 4.4, Automatic Extensions of Employment Authorization Documents in Certain Circumstances, to find out more.
- A foreign passport with Form I-94 bearing the same name as the passport and an endorsement of their nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form for nonimmigrant aliens authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, which means they are authorized to be employed based on their nonimmigrant status
- Passport through the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or even the Republic associated with the Marshall isles (RMI) with Form I-94 indicating admission that is nonimmigrant the Compact of complimentary Association involving the united states of america together with FSM or RMI
LIST B: Documents That Establish Identification
All documents needs to be unexpired.
- DriverвЂ™s permit or ID card granted by a situation or outlying control for the usa, provided it has an image or information such as for instance title, date of delivery, sex, height, attention color, and target
- ID card granted by federal, state, or municipality agencies or entities, offered it includes a picture or information such as for instance title, date of delivery, sex, height, attention color, and target (This selection will not are the driverвЂ™s license or ID card granted by a situation or outlying control associated with the united states of america in Item 1 with this list.)
- Class ID card with an image
- VoterвЂ™s registration card
- U.S. card that is military draft record
- Army dependentвЂ™s ID card
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
- Indigenous american document that is tribal
- DriverвЂ™s permit given by way Gleeden price of A canadian federal government authority
For people under age 18 who will be not able to provide a document mentioned above: